Single malt Scotch whisky
12 year old
Almost all Scotch Whisky is matured in casks previously used by Bourbon distillers. When brought to Scotland and used for the very first time they are known as 'First Fill'. The Malt Master samples the aged whisky, cask by cask, and selects only those characterised by sweetness and subtle vanilla oak to be bottled as The Balvenie Single Barrel First Fill.
Each bottle is one of no more than 300 drawn from a single cask and each is hand-numbered and carries the number of the cask in which it matured.
In days gone by, the 'Dipping Dog' would have been employed by thirsty employees at the Balvenie distillery to pilfer whisky by lowering a cylinder into a cask. On retrieving it, its canny owner would have secured his haul by tightly sealing the opening with a cork.
Then the precious contents would have been gently lowered down the employee's trouser leg by a piece of rope and tethered to his belt. The cylinder became know as a 'dog' on account of it being a man's best friend that, like its canine counterpart, was also kept on a lead by one's side.
Today this ingenious contraption is utilised by the Malt Master, David Stewart when sampling an expression directly from the cask.
Why choose The Whisky Shop?
- We value your custom and your order will receive the personal attention of one of our highly experienced team
- We package your order with the greatest of care
- Your order will be delivered by a well respected courier company, selected on their track record for customer delivery service
- We offer a Click and Collect service from any of our 22 stores
- We offer a choice of delivery options
- We offer international delivery on all of our products
- If you have any questions or would like more information, you can pick up the phone to us on +44 (0) 141 427 2977