Single malt Scotch whisky
17 year old
Web Price Only
To craft The Balvenie DoubleWood 17 Year Old, the Malt Master returned to one of his most celebrated achievements - consecutive maturation in two different types of cask, a process often referred to as 'cask finishing'. This technique is at the heart of The Balvenie DoubleWood - it sees the whisky matured first in American oak barrels, which impart soft sweet vanilla notes, before being transferred to European oak sherry casks, where the second cask ageing adds rich spicy flavours and a depth and fullness of flavour. The DoubleWood 17 Year Old is an elder sibling to DoubleWood 12 Year Old and shares its honeyed, spicy characteristics, but it is distinctly different, with a striking richness and complexity.
The result is a quintessential Balvenie, with honey, malt, vanilla, and green apples on the nose. Smooth and extremely easy to drink, the palate majors in dried fruits, vanilla and spices. The finish is medium to long, with more honey and vanilla, plus aniseed and warming oak. This is an excellent example of why it pays to trade up from a 12 year old single malt.
In days gone by, the 'Dipping Dog' would have been employed by thirsty employees at the Balvenie distillery to pilfer whisky by lowering a cylinder into a cask. On retrieving it, its canny owner would have secured his haul by tightly sealing the opening with a cork.
Then the precious contents would have been gently lowered down the employee's trouser leg by a piece of rope and tethered to his belt. The cylinder became know as a 'dog' on account of it being a man's best friend that, like its canine counterpart, was also kept on a lead by one's side.
Today this ingenious contraption is utilised by the Malt Master, David Stewart when sampling an expression directly from the cask.
Why choose The Whisky Shop?
- We value your custom and your order will receive the personal attention of one of our highly experienced team
- We package your order with the greatest of care
- Your order will be delivered by a well respected courier company, selected on their track record for customer delivery service
- We offer a Click and Collect service from any of our 22 stores
- We offer a choice of delivery options
- We offer international delivery on all of our products
- If you have any questions or would like more information, you can pick up the phone to us on +44 (0) 141 427 2977