Single malt Scotch whisky
18 year old
The rich palate of the 18 Year Old is the result of a combination of several different cask types. The Glenlivet Master Distiller Alan Winchester has a wealth of quality casks to choose from when creating this complex expression, with first and second fill American and European Oak all playing their parts.
European Oak imparts spiciness and brings additional complexity and first-fill American Oak adds soft tropical fruitiness.
Such was the success of whisky from Glenlivet distillery by the 1880s that the name ‘Glenlivet' began to be adopted by other distillers to make it clear that their whisky came from the same area - riding on the coat-tails of success, if you will.
John Gordon Smith, son of the founder George Smith, had to obtain a court order in 1884 stating that only his whisky could be called ‘The' Glenlivet. Anyone else was then required to hyphenate the name - e.g. Glenfarclas-Glenlivet, Tamdhu-Glenlivet, Macallan-Glenlivet, etc.
Come the 1950s, nearly 30 distilleries were using the hyphenated form, some of them many miles from the Glenlivet itself - giving rise to it being called ‘the longest glen in Scotland'!
Why choose The Whisky Shop?
- We value your custom and your order will receive the personal attention of one of our highly experienced team
- We package your order with the greatest of care
- Your order will be delivered by a well respected courier company, selected on their track record for customer delivery service
- We offer a Click and Collect service from any of our 22 stores
- We offer a choice of delivery options
- We offer international delivery on all of our products
- If you have any questions or would like more information, you can pick up the phone to us on +44 (0) 141 427 2977