Berry Bros. & Rudd was founded in 1698 by a woman, of whom only her surname is recorded: Bourne. Her daughter Elizabeth married William Pickering, and continued to run the family business. The Pickerings supplied coffee to the newly popular coffee houses of St James’, and therefore the shop traded under the ‘Sign of the Coffee Mill’ – an image that has been displayed outside the premises for centuries. The Berry name came from a relation of William, who ran the shop when he died – and transformed the shop from a humble coffee house and grocers to sell mainly wine and spirits. At the turn of the 20th century, Hugh Rudd joined the two Berry brothers to form Berry Bros. & Rudd, bringing his expansive knowledge of fine wine. In 1998, the company celebrated 300 years in business, and was given a second Royal Warrant by King Charles III.