Founded in 1798, the distillery was originally named Aldour. This changed in 1825 to Blair Athol, named after the nearby village of Blair Atholl. The distillery passed between hands many times before eventually falling silent in 1932. The distillery was purchased by Arthur Bell & Sons in 1933 and in 1949, production finally resumed. The company was then purchased by Guinness in 1985.