Bowmore Single Malt Whisky
Bowmore Distillery is one of the oldest in Scotland, having been founded in 1779, and is certainly the oldest surviving distillery on the whisky island of Islay. It is located in the centre of the island capital of Bowmore, fronting the western shore of Loch Indaal, a sea loch opening into the Atlantic Ocean. The distillery was established by local postmaster and ferry operator David Simson, who had previously distilled at Killarow, near Bridgend, three miles from the village of Bowmore. Simpson operated Bowmore until 1837, when he sold it to Glasgow-based W& J Mutter, previously proprietors of Jura distillery. Later notable Bowmore owners were JB Sherriff & Co, who ran it from 1925 to 1950.