This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here.
    x
    Login    Register    Customer service    +44 (0)141 427 2977
    Menu

    Imperial Single Malt Whisky

    The Imperial distillery of Moray was founded in 1897 and was named in honour of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in the same year. The distillery was founded by Thomas Mackenzie, who already owned both Dailuaine and Talisker. Despite promising beginnings, the distillery struggled in its early years; it was closed in 1899 following the notorious Pattison whisky crash, and did not re-open until 1919 – a few years after it was purchased by Distillers Company Limited.

    This did not last long, and the distillery was closed again in 1925 – although the maltings remained in use – and did not open again until 1955 once it had been acquired and refurbished by Scottish Malt Distillers. It closed again in 1985 and was purchased by Allied Distillers in 1989. They refurbished the distillery and began producing again in 1991. Imperial was mothballed for the final time in 1998.

    Despite having been out of commission for 7 years, the distillery was purchased by Pernod Ricard in 2005. No plans were ever announced for the facility to be revived, and the Imperial buildings were destroyed in 2013 with a view to building a new facility. It is now the site of the new state of the art Chivas Brothers distillery, Dalmunach, which started production in October 2014.

    Shop by:

    There are no products matching the selection.