Located on Islay’s southern coast, Port Ellen was founded by Alexander Kerr Mackay in 1825. It has its origins as a malt mill built to supply the illicit distilleries on the Oa peninsula, and was named after the nearby town of Port Ellen. In 1836, relative John Ramsay overtook the lease, and entered into a partnership with Walter Frederick Campbell the landowner laird of Islay. He was a pioneer who exported Port Ellen to the US, and imported sherry and madeira into Glasgow, to use their casks to mature Port Ellen whisky. The distillery was demolished in 1983, as new owners DCL determined that they did not need to operate three Islay distilleries.