This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here.
    x
    Login    Register    Customer service    +44 (0)141 427 2977
    Menu

    Glenkinchie Single Malt Whisky

    Founded illegally by the Rate brothers in 1825, originally under the name Miltion distillery, Glenkinchie whisky distillery was officially registered in 1837. The distillery sits in a glen of the Kinchie Burn in East Lothian, just 20 miles from Edinburgh, and it has often been referred to as ‘The Edinburgh Malt’.

    Soon after its official opening, the distillery fell silent and remained that way for almost three decades – it is believed the building was being used as a sawmill during this time. In 1881 a consortium of brewers purchased the distillery and re-commenced production until it was sold to Distillers Company Limited around 1925. The distillery is now owned and operated by Diageo.  

    Glenkinchie then continued in relative obscurity for a number of years, although a visitor centre and museum was opened at the distillery in 1969. This proved useful when the brand received a huge profile boost after being included as the Lowlands representative of the Classic Malts range launched by Diageo in 1988. There has been expansion to the core range of official single malt expressions offered from the distillery since then, but it still operates with a relatively small production capacity of 1.7 million litres per year. Approximately 10% of that spirit is retained for single malts, with most being used in a range of blends including Haig, Dimple and Dewar's.

    Shop by:
    Shop By

    Shopping Options