During the Whisky Boom of the 1890s the demand for Glen Grant malt was such that the distillery’s owner, Major James Grant, resolved to build a replica distillery next door – well, across the road – which he imaginatively named ‘Glen Grant No. 2’. It would use the same malt, share the same water supply, have identical stills and employ the same production regime. It was even connected to its sister distillery by a pipe, so the new make spirit could be pumped across to Glen Grant for filling into cask. Mysteriously, the pipe often sprung leaks… No. 2 opened in 1898, but from the outset the spirit it produced was different to that of the original. It closed in 1902, following the general down-turn in demand for Scotch whisky after 1900, and remained closed until 1965 when it was revived by The Glenlivet and Glen Grant Distilleries Ltd. Re-named Caperdonich, its two original stills were retained, then expanded to four stills in 1967. Its make was entirely for blending, except for a tiny amount that was independently bottled. It ceased production in 2002 and was bought by Forsyth of Rothes in 2012.