Pulteney Distillery was founded in 1826 at the height of Wick’s herring boom. Road links to the town had not yet been established when James Henderson opened his distillery, so the coastal site utilised the strong shipping trade to bring in raw barley and transport malt whisky to market. The town became renowned for the barrels of silver and gold (herring and whisky) leaving the port.
In 1922, Wick enacted prohibition by a majority vote, becoming a dry town and putting the distillery’s fate at risk. The prohibition lasted twice as long as the infamous US prohibition, and the distillery was closed for over twenty years. By 1951, post-war demand for whisky was building and production at the distillery resumed, continuing to this day.