Tamdhu Single Malt Whisky
Tamdhu distillery was built (in 1897) by Highland Distilleries and owned by them until 2011, when it was sold to Ian Macleod Distillers (owners of Glengoyne and Macleod’s Isle of Skye blended Scotch), when Highland decided to focus on their ‘core malts’, Macallan and Highland Park.
It was the only distillery on Speyside which made all its own requirement of malt, and it was unusual in operating Saladin boxes – a method of mechanical malting invented by Colonel Charles Saladin, a Frenchman, during the 1890s and widely adopted by the brewing industry, but only by whisky distillers in 1949 (at North British Distillery). Saladin boxes were installed at Tamdhu in 1950, and later at Dalmore, Glen Moray, Dailuaine, Glen Albyn, Glen Ord and Imperial during the 1950s and ‘60s, although all these distilleries apart from Ord soon bought in their malt from outside. Regretfully, the new owners have decided to abandon malting on site.