Blair Athol Whisky
Blair Athol was established way back in 1798 to make use of the pure waters from the ancient All Dour – ‘the burn of the otter’ in Gaelic – and was originally named Aldour, before being rechristened in 1826. It stands in Pitlochry on the banks of the River Tay and is one of Scotland’s oldest legal distilling sites. The spirit made there is distinctive for its nutty flavour and light spice, which lends itself particularly well to sherry cask maturation.
The distillery fell silent in 1932, but was rescued by Arthur Bell, who rebuilt and reopened it in 1949 to become a defining component in his Bell’s blends. By the 1970's Bell’s blends were top sellers, and Blair Athol was doubled in capacity to meet demand. The distillery was bought by Guinness (now part of Diageo) in 1985, and a visitor centre was opened on site shortly after. Before the purchase, Blair Athol was bottled only once by Bell’s as a single malt, and since 1985 has only been found as a single under the Flora and Fauna collection.