This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here.
    x
    Login    Register    Customer service    +44 (0)141 427 2977
    Menu

    Glenrothes Single Malt Whisky

    Glenrothes distillery is located in the Speyside town of Rothes in Moray, where it has been since 1878. Despite having a relatively low-profile, the distillery has a large production capacity of around 5.6 million litres. Since being built, the facility has undergone a number of expansions which have taken the original 2 stills up to a total of 10 following the most recent improvements in 1989.

    The distillery experienced some difficult early years and, like many distilleries around this time, was damaged by on-site fires. A blaze destroyed large parts of the building in 1897 and an explosion caused considerable damage again in 1903. Incredibly, yet another warehouse fire caused more damage in 1922. Since then the Glenrothes distillery has been steadily productive, quietly successful and thankfully fire free. In 1999 the distillery came under the ownership of The Edrington Group and William Grant & Sons after the partnership bought Highland Distillers Limited (then owners of Glenrothes) who have continued to maintain the site’s low-profile efficiency.

    Glenrothes is notable for is its distinctive method of labelling bottles, most of the official releases are bottled as specific vintages rather than the more traditional age statement approach used by most distilleries. The majority of spirit produced at Glenrothes is used for blended whiskies such as Cutty Sark and Famous Grouse.

    Shop by:
    Shop By