1878 works on the site begun that in former years had been home of a sawmill. The distillery itself had a shaky start and turbulent history. Over-proof whisky is notoriously highly flammable, and the distillery has paid the price. Extension work began in 1896 on a second malt kiln, and an increase in stills from two to four but, before the work was finished, a fire in December 1897 caused serious damage. The distillery saw further damage with a serious explosion in 1903. Prohibition, the First World War, and the Wall Street Crash in 1929 achieved what the fires didn’t: production went down, and the distillery closed down at last. In 1963 a third pair of stills was installed, and heating changed from direct fire to internal steam. Thank goodness!